50 Clearview Rd. Edison, NJ 08837
Role & Responsibilities:
The R&D Chemist is a key member of the company' s Research and Development Team. The primary responsibilities required for this role are:
- Review new Product Development Requests (PDR' s) and collaborate with Sales Executives (SE' s) for additional clarification; assign tentative project completion dates.
- Develop new formulations utilizing in-depth knowledge of chemical Ingredients and processes that meets the desired technical and aesthetic attributes specified by customers on PDR.
- Prepare lab batches of formulas needed for submitting samples for customer analysis within lab schedule, and reformulating / resubmitting them based on customer' s feedback.
- Maintain detailed and organized lab notebook with detailed observations while making lab batch.
- Develop detailed lab scale process for success including order of addition, critical raw materials and processing parameters, bench standard and benchmark, and lab scale preliminary specification and test results.
- Provide SE and customer technical support, participation on account teams and teleconferences.
- Work closely and collaboratively with lab technicians, to teach, coordinate and collaborate on projects leading to well-planned and executed bench work and successful sample submissions.
- Perform and monitor stability with lab technician, utilizing approved stability protocol, and re-formulate if initial
formula is unstable.
- Meet with raw material vendors to learn about new technologies and new raw materials that can be utilized to create/improve Client' s innovative technology offerings.
- Communicate all information regarding formulation, project status, costing, and results to all appropriate individuals, maintaining confidentiality requirements.
- Collaborate as a key team member across the R&D department, contributing innovative ideas, expertise, knowledge, experiences with strong team spirit, and pride in organization' s contribution to the company.
- Perform/Monitor calibration and validation of all lab instruments with Lab Technicians.
- Maintain clean, safe and well-organized lab working area.
- Stable and compliant personal care, cosmetics and OTC products.
- Timely shipment of lab samples to customers/marketing/testing facilities.
- Continual and ongoing collaboration/communication of the status of project to Sales Executives.
- Documentation of detailed observations and specifications.
- Learning of new technology via researching new raw materials and processes.
- Establishing preliminary product specifications and detailed lab process.
- Bachelor or Master Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Cosmetic Science or a related scientific discipline.
- Minimum of 2+ years of product formulation and related lab bench experience in the Personal Care industry.
- In-depth experience managing product development from inception, through testing, scale up and transition to manufacturing.
- Lab bench experience with common formulation laboratory test instruments and methods including viscometer, pH meter, mixing equipment, centrifuge, pyncometer to measure specific gravity, etc.
- Experience proactively monitoring, investigating, and resolving issues related to formula stability, micro, and safety.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
- Act as a strong team player with a positive and professional attitude and collaboration skills.
- Impeccable multi-tasking, organization, time management, excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint) proficiency is a must